What is NoSQL?
A Philosophical Movement
- Freedom from the limitations and complexities of the relational model
- Freedom from the licensing fees and incompatibilities of Oracle/Sybase/IBM/Microsoft/etc.
- Freedom from the up-front design costs of schema-based data storage
A Technical Anti-Specification
- No Structured Query Language
- No fixed schemas
- No joins (some may dispute this point)
A New Hope
- True Horizontal Scalability
- Excellent performance with large datasets and binary data
- A safe haven for the lazy, the impatient, and the hubristic
The Phantom Menace
Next: Why NoSQL?
- Not what everyone uses, for better or worse, 95% of the time
- No standards
- Weakened integrity assurances