Partition for speed
- do what where? - stop and think - work smarter not harder
- Pick the right database for the job, if you have the choice.
- Work close to the data
- Moving data to/from the client is always expensive
- Consider latency as well as bandwidth
- Use stored procedures where appropriate
- Do more in SQL where appropriate - get a good book
- Multiple simple queries with 'joins' in Perl may be faster.
- Use proprietary bulk-load, not Perl, where appropriate.
- Consider local caching, in memory or DBM file etc, e.g. Memoize.pm
- Mix 'n Match techniques as needed - experiment and benchmark.